¿Slow and inefficient insurance company?
Not anymore. Process management to the rescue
At Flokzu we want to provide you with helpful tools to ensure your businesses growth from a practical approach, so your Insurance company processes are efficient and effective. Although there are many theoretical recommendations out there, when the time comes to apply them, they become meaningless or too complex to be put into practice. And besides, small and medium enterprises (SMEs) tend to bear the costs, which are often inaccessible.
That’s why we consider that case studies are so valuable. It’s because they show specific difficulties when managing business processes and how to overcome them. Our experience has shown us which are the best practices to replicate and which ones ensure a good management of document-based processes.
- Region: Latin America
- Sector: Insurance
- Origin: Multinational corporation
- Size: SME
The company was handling its processes manually (via mail or Excel® sheets) or using lots of paperwork. That clearly reduced the chances to grow due to the inefficiency
that that kind of management entails and ultimately harmed the support provided to customers.
Although processes worked properly and the company had experienced remarkable levels of growth in recent years, that would eventually change. The manual processes could no longer endure clients or employees. We identified opportunities for improvement in most of the processes of the organization. It would increase their efficiency and improve customer satisfaction without adding significant costs.
Flokzu as a BPM Suite was chosen, specialized in document management since most processes had to do with that. We selected the first processes for automation, balancing the positive impact with the complexity:
- Previous inspection process
- Reception of complaints or suggestions
- Requests to the IT Department
- Contracts with suppliers and customers
The first process allowed the assessment of the ensured good and generated electronic information and reports. The central storage added visibility for them. The inspector no longer had to take a picture and send it on paper or by mail. Instead, he went directly with a tablet and attached a photo to the form if it was necessary. That immediately initiated the evaluation process starts evaluation (without any kind of paperwork), which went on until resolution. At every stage the information was available, substantially improving time management. Furthermore, management could set time limits which sent alerts if that limit was exceeded.
The second process established a much more satisfying customer experience since all complaints and suggestions were centralized and followed up until the client got a response or solution. All key documentation was grouped to be analyzed and improved afterward.
The third process organized the requests to the IT Department. The categories were relevancy, priority, follow up stage and control. This improved the experience of the whole company regarding business processes.
Finally, the contract process was automated, gathering all its conditions and facilitating the identification of the latest renewal conditions. Thus the relationship with suppliers was optimized, improving negotiation skills.
- Increased profitability derived from shorter processing times and increased volume of insurance with the same costs (staff and infrastructure).
- Improved customer experience, with a more efficient management of their complaints and suggestions, shorter response time, traceability of responses and alerts for exceeded times.
- Improved efficiency of the organization due to centralized information, which was always available and organized for the mentioned processes and all documents involved in them.
- Reduced time to process each document due to electronic devices and automated solutions. Market differential: time management bounded and insured.
- Better organization of IT Department request. Improving the solutions provided by the IT Department with a proper follow-up stage.
- Processes were documented using BPMN, an international standard that most process-people know.
- More agile management within the company, easier management of internal documents involved in all processes, better communication among individuals, which automatically improved all processes.
- Lower management costs: less paper, printing and storing costs and less required time in order to find the documents.
Despite this case study is a specific example, it illustrates many of the best practices that Flokzu’s team identified as vital and that we strongly recommend following.
- Identify the most vital processes of your organization and which ones are currently lowering your growth rate.
- Stick to a reasonable number of processes (less than 5) in order to analyze them better instead of working on too many at the same time.
- Involve different employees, mainly those who participate in the chosen processes and let them become part of your BPMS team.
- Choose the right BPM System. This post compares leading cloud BPM tools.
- Do not lose track of time. The right BPMS, aside from being efficient, should be agile and easily implemented.
- The process does not end after being implemented. It is a cycle and that is why the analysis stage is as important as the previous ones. You should measure your results in order to identify improvement opportunities and restart the cycle.
An insurance company operates in a sector in which the customer experience carries much weight. Therefore it is important to recognize opportunities to improve that experience without losing sight of profitability. A solution like the one presented in this case study can integrate both interests so that the organization can continuously grow and therefore acquire gain more competitive advantages.
A BPMS can improve your business process management but selecting the right System is not enough. You also have to identify, measure and evaluate how your processes are running. That is how you can really take advantage of BPM benefits and those who can do that will notice a major improvement in the efficiency and profit of their organization.
You can also schedule a work session here to model a real-life process in your organization together